24.9.11

the garbage game: an introduction

I have attempted to start an upcycling/sustainability blog for quite some time now. Each one has been set up, carefully named and then brutally abandoned-- all in a month or two.

Now, I am starting yet another blog, but this time I should (hopefully) have more of an incentive to keep at it. I am required to blog weekly for my Journalism II class, and this is where I will be doing that. Besides the occasional post on an assigned topic, I will mostly be writing about upcycling.

Eventually, I would also like to explore the relationships between upcycling, living sustainably and environmental activism.

As a disclaimer, I would like to point out that while doing things like upcycling and composting are definitely valuable for the environment, they are only starting points. Just upcycling and composting does not make one an environmental hero.

Annie Leonard explains this well in her book The Story of Stuff:

"There are things we can do to lessen environmental health impacts... So, yes, we should engage in these actions, as long as we don't let them either lull us into a false sense of accomplishment or let the effort of maintaining this constant, uptight, rigorous green screen on our lifestyle exhaust us. In other words, as long as taking these actions doesn't stand in the way of your engaging in the broader political arena for real change, knock yourself out."

I am guilty of having allowed upcycling and recycling and picking up garbage to give me the false sense of accomplishment that Leonard is referring to.

Ultimately, my goal for blogging is to learn more about real environmental change while also exploring new ideas for my beloved hobby of upcycling.

16 comments:

  1. I love how you are so into upcycling. It's very unique and I don't think I know anyone else who does it, besides you and possibly Tamilyn. I'd definitely want to do more like recycle and such to make our environment better. I think your blog will be very interesting and I can't wait to read more about your environmental activism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must first say. I am very impressed on your thoughts and works on evironmental change. Not a lot of people care about that type of things these days. I am hoping to read more of future blogs. Good luck on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teri,

    I can tell you are absolutely passionate about environmental sustainability! I'm curious as to what "upcycling" is. Is it an umbrella term for environment-related acts?

    I will admit that I can end up being a pretty wasteful person. But it's nice to think that each time I dump something into the recycling bin or re-use a plastic bottle, I end up saving a minuscule smidgen of the Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog tells a lot about your passion in upcycling. Honestly, I have not heard of upcycling before. So, I'm excited to learn more about what it means and how it will affect our environment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to learn about how to upcycle and am excited to read more of your upcoming posts. I think upcycled products are so unique and beautiful. I myself do not have the skill to upcycle products myself and would probably have to purchase the products myself. I suggest posting pictures of things you have upcycled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very interested to learn more about how I can do more upcycling. No, these actions don't make us superheroes, but it's a start. I am sure that you will be able to inspire someone else to take those first steps toward making a better environment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terilyn Chen,

    You continually amaze me with your creativity and uniquity. Even before I met you, I have always known that you were one of a kind (Tamilyn showed me one of those glasses-pins. They are amazing!). I hope to become more involved in the preservation of our environment and look forward to reading about how you will be doing so in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is a great idea for a blog. Especially because we live in a world we take our resources for granted, it is important to stress using materials to their maximum potential. I look forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terilyn,

    Since I personally know you, I am very aware of your passion towards the environment. This blog even further amazes me how you love it so much. I look forward to seeing all your creations and wonders from recycling, upcycling and composting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Terilyn,
    Are you going to show us some of your creations? Are you going to explain and teach us how you do it? I like your passion in upcycling as this activity kind of combine art and environment, which are fields of your interest. Since I am concerned about the environment, I am also looking forward to some environmental friendly tips that we can do. I really like your blog because I am also interested in art and concerned about environmental issues.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Terilyn,

    Wow, I have never heard of upcycling. What exactly is upcycling? I am guilty of being one of those people who occasionally recycle and feel as though I have done some greater good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello,

    You know what amazes me? That I have never heard of this term before. Think of all of the possibilities! You know that useless crushed styrofoam? You can make styrofoam (snow)balls and have a styrofoam (snow)ball fight !(although, I would hate to be the person who has to clean the mess).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the idea of your blog Terilyn! You inspire me to think twice before throwing things away since it could still be used and not wasted. I am looking forward to reading more about upcycling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Terilyn,

    I have never herd of upcycling, at first I thought it was a typo. But as I read, you fascinate me and I'm glad there's people like you in this world. I look forward to reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm looking forward to reading about how you turn something into another. I'm sure you have a lot of great ideas and I can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is great you think a lot as i do about interior decor i am ready to see what else you come up with.

    ReplyDelete