5.10.11

on what "upcycling" means + lamp inspiration

When I saw that several of you had left comments asking what "upcycling" means, I realized that I should have explained. After all, this is what I will primarily be posting about here on The Garbage Game!

Upcycling is re-purposing or altering material into a product of higher value. It is important to note that this is different from the recycling that we seem to be most familiar with, which is the recycling of products like plastic bottles. When a plastic bottle is recycled, it is made into a lower grade, and thus, less valuable, plastic. (This process is called downcycling; it is not upcycling.) This is why upcycling is generally more eco-friendly than downcycling is. More in-depth definitions of these terms can be found here.

Now that we have a better idea of what upcycling is, here is some lamp upcycling inspiration:

map lamp

mason jar lights

plastic bottle chandeliers

Photos from here, here, & here

My next post will be a full-on tutorial. I'm keeping the actual project a surprise, but don't worry-- we are starting small. Next post's tutorial will be about something much easier and much less time-consuming to make than these beautiful light fixtures.

11 comments:

  1. Wow. I love your blog. This is such an interesting topic! Have you made the stuff in your pictures before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I never had any opinion of upcycling (well except that one time). When i see what you can do with the things you upcycle, and how it looks, the finished result, I am bewildered. I am looking foward to witnessing the potential upcycling in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow those are nice looking. They look like decorations I can get from Ikea or something. Do you know where I can get these? They look really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terilyn! I can't wait for your tutorial! I love things like these. They're eco-friendly, unique and I just love it. I especially love the first one. I'm so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Terilyn!
    I am so happy that you made a blog dedicated to upcycling because I've always wanted to try it. I can't wait to learn how to make lamps out of Jars and other materials. I also can't wait for what else you have in store for your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the urge to say that a lot of these are fire hazards, but obviously that would be a bit unnecessary. I am interested in seeing the many projects upcycling can produce, I have always been a fan of re-using things for strange uses, and this is no different. I am awaiting these project tutorials anxiously (well not really, just waiting).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I wish I had the skills to make those, life would be so much cheaper. Have you made those items yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terilyn,
    WOW! Those are amazing...where could I get a mason jar lamp like that? I'm excited to see what else you have to offer...especially the video.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking at your blog, it's so amazing how so much can be reused and upcycled. It's so unique and very creative! I can't wait to read about your tutorial and your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Jobel Kyle Vecino
    I don’t think it’s “unnecessary” to be concerned about whether or not these are fire hazards. In fact, I think it’s great that you care about safety. After all, environmentalism is very much about creating a safer environment.

    If you click the first link in my post, you can read the procedures taken by the map lamp sellers to make sure their lamps are safe. The people who made the mason jar lamps have a blog, and I’m sure they would be happy to answer your safety questions about their lights. As for the plastic bottle lamps, designer Michelle Brand’s contact information can be found
    here. I'm sure she'd also be able to answer your questions.

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terilyn,
    I never knew what upcycling was until I came across your blog. Sometimes I see you around school, and I must say that you have a very unique and creative style. I am looking forward to your upcoming tutorial.

    ReplyDelete